Under current Health and Safety legislation, employers have a duty of care to safeguard the health and safety of their employees. This is particularly relevant to those carrying out safety-critical tasks. It is important that safety-critical workers are not suffering from medical conditions or undergoing any medical treatment which is likely to cause sudden loss of consciousness or incapacity, impairment of awareness, concentration, balance or coordination or significant limitation of mobility.
The term ‘safety critical work’ is defined as:
“Where the ill health of an individual may compromise their ability to undertake a task defined as safety critical, thereby posing a significant risk to the health and safety of others.” (CBH, 2015).
A medical, such as a fitness-for-task health check, as identified in the National Industry Standards for Occupational Health and Constructing Better Health, will go a long way towards ensuring these legal requirements are met.
Workers Health Ltd is a SEQOHS and Constructing Better Health (CBH) accredited occupational health provider which specialises in providing quality services to the construction industry. We strictly adhere to the HSE, Highways England and CBH industry/medical standards when conducting Fit-for-task-safety critical worker medicals.
In the construction industry the following roles have been defined as ‘safety critical’:
• Asbestos licensed worker
• LGV/HGV Driver
• Plant Operators
• Slinger/Signaller/Banksman/Traffic Marshall
• Steel Erector Structural/Fabricator
• Tunnel Boring Gangs
• Roadside (high speed)
• Confined Space workers
• Working at Height where control measures not practicable
(this is not an exhaustive list, always review the job risk assessments)
Fit-for-Task – SCW Medicals consist of the following tests
- A baseline SCW health questionnaire to establish any current or previous medical/psychological health history
- Blood pressure measurement
- Height, Weight & Body Mass
- Audiometry – Hearing test, Industrial standard Audiometry
- Spirometry – Full Lung function test
- Visual Acuity, colour vision and peripheral vision screen
- Urinalysis for diabetes or other health issues
- Muscular skeletal assessment
- Mental health assessment
(CBH and Highways England Raising the Bar 12 standards)
For all enquires relating to Safety Critical/Fit for Task Worker Medicals, please contact the Guildford office or contact us directly through the ‘contact us’ portal.